Programs & Events at the ALANA Center News
The ALANA Center offers a range of academic, social, cultural and leadership programs to enhance the campus life experience-academic and residential-of students. The following are some program highlights:
Faculty Dialogues: Achieving with Excellence
These monthly informal conversations between students and faculty allow for the exchange of knowledge, strategies and experiences to achieve your learning goals to Achieve With Excellence. Sessions will explore what excellence means in different disciplines, like the sciences, humanities and arts. Yolanda Ramos, ALANA Center director, will facilitate.
Traditionally held during All Parents Weekend, the ALANA Festival is a day of cultural music, food, vendors, crafts and performances brought to you by the African American/Black, Latino, Asian, Asian American, and Native American communities.
ALANA Leadership Retreat
The ALANA Leadership Retreat provides an opportunity for current leaders and for those thinking about assuming a leadership position to meet other leaders, share information about your organization, find common ground, and explore ways to work across cultural boundaries. Students also participate in leadership skill building workshops. The Retreat occurs at the beginning of the Spring semester.
An additional selection of recent events
- New Student of Color Reception
- Life As a Student of Color: The Search for A Safe Space
- in Predominately White Institutions
- ALANA Leadership Retreat: Strengthening the Ties that Bind Us
- Center Brunch (3)
- ALANA Quilt Ceremony
- Freshman Exchange
- Graduation Reception for Seniors of Color
- IMAGES Reception
- Film Screening: Bend It Like Beckman
- Thesis Talks: Come See What Others are Studying
- Life As A Student of Color at VC: An Open Mic
- Film Screening: Raising Our Voices Against Hate Crimes
- Farmworker Women in NYS
- Study Breaks (2)